November is CPR Month Awareness
November is known as CPR month across Canada and if you haven’t yet learned how to perform CPR, now is the time.
Many people are able to recognize the signs and symptoms of a cardiac emergency, but without training are unable to effectively provide life-saving assistance. Bystanders that are effectively trained in CPR and the use of AEDs immediately following a victim’s cardiac arrest can double a person’s chance of survival.
Did you know…
- More than 50,000 Canadians die of heart disease each year
- Almost 60% of Canadians have had to perform first aid on a stranger or someone they love
- 4/5 cardiac emergencies occur at home
- Only about ¼ of people who suffer out of hospital cardiac arrest receive CPR from a bystander. If this number was doubled, we could save 2000 lives per year
- 1 cardiac arrest every 12 minutes occurs each year in Canada (up to 45,000 in total!)
Getting certified in a first aid course can make you considerably more confident in the skills needed to be able to help someone experiencing a medical emergency. CPR keeps the blood and oxygen flowing, keeping the victim alive until an ambulance arrives and dramatically increasing the chances of survival. For every 1-minute delay in defibrillation, the survival rate of the victim decreases between 7%-10%!
In honour of CPR month, We at Heartzap are encouraging everyone to get trained and prepared in the event of an emergency. With the purchase of one of our AED’s; The Cardiac Science G5 AED with Adult pads, The Cardiac Science G5 AED with Icpr, The Zoll AED 3, or The Zoll AED Plus, receive a packaged deal that includes a 3D AED wall sign, surface mount cabinet, window/door decal, CPR/AED online training program, and more!!